For as long as I have lived the THPL life I have been addicted to broccoli. It is for me, my version of superfood. There are times I eat it three times and day and it is a rare instance when I go more than a few days without it. Without any bit of research I found it to be medicinal, have healing powers and to be high in nutrients. It just makes me feel good to eat it. And so after all of this time I took a minute and looked up a few factoids about this superfood and found it interesting enough to share
- Broccoli is in the cabbage family (who would have known) and it is the flowering (yup) head that is considered the vegetable that we eat
- The word broccoli comes from the Italian plural of broccolo, which means “the flowering crest of a cabbage”
- Broccoli was first introduced to the United States by Italian immigrants but did not become widely known there until the 1920s
- Broccoli is high in vitamin C and dietary fiber.
- Broccoli contains multiple nutrients and is a potent modulator of our immune response system anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-cancer activity.
I think it tastes best when roasted in the oven, with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, for about 35 minutes at 375 degrees. And when cooked like this the innate sugar in the broccoli can make this superfood taste like candy. Eat up my fellow THPLers – you might soon become just as addicted as I am.
Loving life when eating broccoli